Just kidding, cracker jack! See, I went around the trademark by not capitallizing the C! I’m a freak of nature, I know, I just love how much of a genius I can be. Like when an entire lane on our main street to get home from work is closed last week. How I wonder when people see the FIRST sign that THAT has to be the time when they merge off into the unblocked lane. Why freak out, people? You’re going to wait a longer period of time, and then you have to be selfless and let people in and so on and so forth. You won’t get home at 5:15 in other words, you will get home at 5:20.
I find this inconvenient I want to bake and watch TV, and watch car commercials about Independance Day and George Washington driving a Charger at the Red Coats. I like to contemplate how much this impostor looks like the man. How did they bring him back just for this commercial? I’m busy thinking right now. There’s no recipe today, go away, come back tomorrow.
What? No! Come back!
Oh good. I see you popped your popcorn, I was worried.
Combine your butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt all together in the saucepan. You know, if you are impatient, you can melt the butter in the microwave beforehand. I probably would have saved five minutes. Which are minutes that I can use to contemplate dumb commercial.
Boil for three minutes.
Toss in the peanuts, vanilla, and baking soda all in there and stir to combine.
Pour over your popcorn and toss with two silicone spatulas. I like to use an outlandishly large bowl.
Spread in a baking pan and bake.
And there you have it! Baseball in a bowl! Or a bag…or a box with a little gift! Hoo-wee!
I will try to post, but I am going out of town tomorrow through the 7th to my sister’s house. We like to cook and bake, so I’m sure I will be able to. Don’t fret!
Homemade Cracker Jack Popcorn (or as I like to say it ‘Pop kerrrn’ no I don’t…or do I?)
8 Cups Air-Popped Popcorn (naked, nude, unbuttered, unsalted, what you would call boring 🙂 )
1 C. Lightly Salted Peanuts
3/4 C. Golden Brown Sugar
1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter
3 T. Light Corn Syrup
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
-Preheat oven to 300 degrees and prepare a sheet pan with tin foil that is lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
1. Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar. Bring mixture to a boil.
2. Allow mixture to boil for four minutes, it should be a light boil. After four minutes, pour in the baking soda, vanilla, and peanuts into the mixture and mix quickly.
3. Pour mixture over the popcorn and toss to coat all of the popcorn, it may take a few minutes to get everything even.
4. Spread evenly on prepared baking pan in a single layer and bake, stirring every 5 or 10 minutes, for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and break up the pieces when they are cool enough to touch. Enjoy!